Welcome to Tasty Tuesday. I know it has been a long time since I have added a recipe. Trust me, we have still been eating. The last couple of weeks, I have been finding myself with a dilemma. The dilemma has been the UNPLANNED food item coming home with my husband. It is a good dilemma to have for many reasons. One of those reasons has been to
expand trust my culinary skills of 30+ years, in which I have turned into a “what can I make with this challenge”.
Today’s recipe did not derive from unplanned food, but from the need of a dessert. The cake recipe I wanted to make called for pineapple, however one of the guest is allergic to pineapple. Ugh, I can hear that voice in my head saying “Just make something else!” But I don’t want something else, so for days the thought of this recipe stayed in the back of my head. An idea was born, a new recipe was created and without further delay. I am sharing it with you now…..
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake by Crisi
1 strawberry cake mix
- Mix as directed on package, pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch sheet pan. Bake at 375° For 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Adjusted the called amount of water with the strawberry juice. Example my mix called for 1 cup of water, I poured the strawberry juice into the measuring cup and then added enough water to equal 1 cup.
2 lbs of fresh strawberries
- Crush strawberries as though you were making a salsa or topping for strawberry shortcake, add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Drain completely.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
2 – 8 oz cream cheese
3 boxes of chocolate instant pudding
4 cups milk
- Mix cream cheese until it is creamy.
- Add pudding mix and milk.
- Beat until thick.
- Spread over the strawberry covered cake.
1 extra-large container (16 oz) of Cool Whip
1 king size chocolate bar
- Spread an extra-large container of Cool Whip onto the cake.
- Garnish with the 4 leftover strawberries and grated chocolate.
The verdict from our teenager, “YUM, that is good. Not to sweet but good.” The verdict from the guest, “The cake is delicious.”
In His Love, Crisi